Friday, March 10, 2006

My great grandma (Ajjamma) passed away today. She had been bedridden recently. She was 93.

It seems that my great grandpa expired at a young age leaving my Ajjamma with two children. During those days, the life of a widow was not at all a bed of roses. In spite of that, Ajjamma lived very courageously. She had to work very hard to give a decent life to her children. My grandma fondly remembers that Ajjamma would never refuse anything that her kids asked for. In spite of difficult circumstances, she never asked anyone for help.

I always found her very patient. I never saw her angry even for a moment. She was a perfect host and she would never let anyone go without at least a cup of tea. She was very particular about cleanliness. The image of Ajjamma in a red cotton saree smiling with her sparkling white will always remain with me. I derive lot of inspiration from her.

May her soul rest in peace.

***************************************

I finished reading Durgasthamana yesterday. I must say that it has been one of the best books I have ever read so far. I was moved to tears after reading the climax. I was actually thrilled to think that it is a true story afterall. Bravery, courage, sacrifice, patriotism- those feelings were all for real. Wow! Salutation to those warriors, their families and TaRaSu for portraying their stories.

No comments: