Thursday, May 04, 2006

I have always been a great fan of William Wordsworth's poems. May be because he was also a nature lover.:) The following poem has been one of my favourites:

FORESIGHT

THAT is work of waste and ruin--
Do as Charles and I are doing!
Strawberry-blossoms, one and all,
We must spare them--here are many:
Look at it--the flower is small,
Small and low, though fair as any:
Do not touch it! summers two
I am older, Anne, than you.

Pull the primrose, sister Anne!
Pull as many as you can.
--Here are daisies, take your fill;
Pansies, and the cuckoo-flower:
Of the lofty daffodil
Make your bed, or make your bower;
Fill your lap, and fill your bosom;
Only spare the strawberry-blossom!

Primroses, the Spring may love them--
Summer knows but little of them:
Violets, a barren kind,
Withered on the ground must lie;
Daisies leave no fruit behind
When the pretty flowerets die;
Pluck them, and another year
As many will be blowing here.

God has given a kindlier power
To the favoured strawberry-flower.
Hither soon as spring is fled
You and Charles and I will walk;
Lurking berries, ripe and red,
Then will hang on every stalk,
Each within its leafy bower;
And for that promise spare the flower!

2 comments:

EYE said...

nice poem:)though never could relate much to literary poetry

Madhooo said...

@me: Thanks.:)) I love literary works where simplicity and honesty comes through. There have been some works for which I had to sit with a dictionary for each word in every line and ultimately I would wonder what they really meant.:D